Smiley Tiggers

Smiley Tiggers

Friday, December 14, 2007

Dreams

I awakened this morning, not quite as usual, instead of the alarm, which had already been tapped on snooze, my littlest dog was getting sick to her stomach, just as I rounded the corner out of my room there goes projectile vomit spewing from her kennel, where I keep her at night. And, I had just mopping the floor! For some reason, all of the female dogs we've had have had this problem of being finacky eaters, and therefore when they get really hungry because they've protested their nightly or morning meal, the puke, my guess an unsettled stomach. Well, she ate her morning meal like a champ after that! My guess was probably correct she was hungry!

I ate breakfast with my husband as I usually do, but then my dream came back into my mind. Last night, I dreamt that Penn was alive again. He was laying on some table, and I knew he was gone, but because his skin was scaly I decided to put lotion on his legs and feet like I had done so many times before he passed. I started rubbing it in, and his leg began to lift up, on it's own. Then he started moving, as if all he needed was a little stimulation to come out of his deep sleep I knew as death. He opened his eyes, and looked at me as though he was stunned to be back in his body. I quickly picked him up and held him just thanking God that he was with me again. I craddled him, and went to wake someone up to show them that Penn was alive! She didn't seem too aroused by my news, which I didn't mind, at least I was holding Penn.

I used to pray to God that he would allow me to be with Penn in my dreams. I missed him so much, but I could never remember a dream whereby my prayer was answered. Last night it was, but ironically enough, it's after I realized yesterday how I was moving on. I don't think it's that complex, but it's ironic.

Before I fell asleep last night I read a short story about Christmas mysteries. The short story was called Live Tree. In the story, the main male character's brother shows up unannounced on the doorstep after having been let out of prison for good behavior on the holidays, with the contention that he'd return to prison. He brought with him a live Christmas tree to plant for the family. He spent three or so days with the family. But, after he left, they found a letter that had been mailed from the prison just days before his brother arrived. It was a death notice informing them that Willy had died of pneumonia, BEFORE he arrived at their house. So, as it appeared, Willy's ghost is the one that visited.

Undoubtedly, I went to bed thinking about this idea, and it happened that my dream involved Penn's ghost. I just wish that I didn't have to wake up thinking about it. Because even though it was so fresh the minute I awakened, I cannot feel what it was like anymore in my dream to hold him.

No comments: